Friday, October 26, 2012

Digital Storytelling Gone Green

    Digital story telling is a wonderful way for students to embrace their creative
nature while engaging in project based learning. I hope to challenge and engage my high school biology students by having them use digital storytelling as a presentation tool for solving environmental issues.  I minored in environmental studies and participated in IDEAS for us projects and I love the idea of being able to help students engage in projects which can help create a better future.



 
 
 
                       
    I think that digital story telling would be a great way to engage my future high school students in problem solving. For this kind of project based learning I would like to have students work in groups of four or five.

The idea of this project would be to have students pinpoint an environmental hazard and create a presentation through a digital story on how they would fix it.
They would start off by taking pictures of something they would like to fix. It could be a simple as a field loaded with trash, with the solution being have a group of people cleaning up the field, or it could be of a lake loaded with algae needing to be cleaned.                  


 Pictures taken by Jodie Gustafson
 
                           
Materials they could use for this project would include:
Digital cameras, video cameras, public images, microphone, music files, photo shop
They would need to take pictures with a digital camera of what they wanted to fix or find public images.  
Students would also be required to include at least one concept map.      


Concept map created by Jodie Gustafson
Students would have a choice of using:  Microsoft Movie Maker, PowerPoint, Photo story, or iMovie for presentation.  
The presentation would need to include:
Introduction page
Environmental problem with picture
Background information
Analysis of problem
Possible Solutions
Images
Concept map
Slide Transitions
Works cited slide
Narration
       
Digital Storytelling project plans

1. Introduce the concept of Digital Storytelling, Find out which students have past experiences with Digital Storytelling, and Separate students in groups of 4 or 5 hopefully including one student with past experience in each group.

2. Show examples of digital stories including those I have created myself, pointing out the different aspects; Introduction, Narration, transitions, images, work sited slide. Pass out a paper with details of what needs to be included in the project and a rubric showing how the presentation is going to be evaluated.  
3. Allow students to work in groups and come up with an environmental problem they would like to fix. Have each student assigned a specific task for group project; facilitator, data collector, photographer, narrator, graphic organizer creator.

4. Have students create an outline of digital story which includes environmental problem, background information, Images to be used, concept map, script page, and solutions. Help student fix or change any problems with outline or script.  

5. Have a troubleshooting session going over any problems students may have getting digital story to come together.

6. Once digital stories are completed they will be shown to class.

I know I will need a lot more tweaking and developing of this project before I can actually facilitate it, but it is a great start. Being able to incorporate digital technology with learning objectives opens a whole new world of possibilities.  We can help each other out by sharing our experiences with these new technological advances.

Do you think high school students will be able handle a project like this?
Or would this be too complicated?    

                                     

3 comments:

  1. Jodie I love this idea. When I think about digital storytelling I always think about how we can use digital storytelling in place of some powerpoint presentations, even instead of writing a report. I think you have a good base of the project that you want to give your students. I think high school students could handle a project like this as long as you give them a rubric about what is necessary in their presentation as well as resources to help them. Also you need to make sure you are supply the students with the digital cameras if you want them to take pictures of the environmental issues, since sometimes this can not done I think you should allow them to find pictures online to incorporate in their projects. I think this is a great project and one that I think would truly interest the students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Project based learning is great. Cooperative learning is a huge way to engage students who might not otherwise get involved. Another way to get said students involved...technology. Your project is going to hit both of these!

    I also like that you are going to have them use/create a concept map. Teachers like you are going that extra mile to ensure that when kids get to the next level they are prepared. I could only hope that the elementary teachers in my area would be as proactive. See, these days, I spend too much time on non-curricular instruction. I can hardly afford to show students how to access my class webpage!

    Which leads me to this...

    I have a question that I would like to ask...I am asking all of the students in our class:

    How much time should content area teachers spend teaching students how to use programs like Prezi or other digital storytelling platforms? I mean, in a time when we are given more content to cover and fewer hours/days to deliver it...can we afford to spend time showing students (those who do not understand) how to use the digital platforms? Or better yet, can we afford to NOT teach them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      That really is a good question. We take all these educational classes which inform us of all the things we need to do to be a good teacher and then somehow we have to try to use them in real life. Sometimes it is just not feasable. Digital storytelling is such a wonderful way to motivate students that I belive effort should be made. It may help to have students with digital storytelling experience work with students who don't. Thats why I think digital storytelling should be a group project with students helping each other.

      Delete